Friday 24 September 2010

Vismig - Fri Sept 24th 2010 - Higher Thrushgill Plantation (Wray With Bottom) SD646622


(Click over map to enlarge, and click again to supersize)..

Friday September 24th 2010
Higher Thrushgill (Wray with Bottom) Nr. Lowgill SD646622
0715-1000hrs
Wind: NE 25mph
Movement: South unless stated.

Really superb open panoramic views to its North, in fact reminded me very much of my old stomping grounds at Haslingden, it had a lot of similaries in much of its topography. Today was spoilt with strong Winds and speckly rain at times. The Pipits did come through in small numbers all heading South and kept quite rigid to a corridor of about 36 foot wide in the main, and most where flying side on into the brisk NE wind. All where at high altitude, but some where so high you could hardly see them, certainly at cloud base, so the probabilities are that I missed lots. It really is a superb venue and I must get back next week when hopefully the winds will have abaited. This place looks like it could well be one of the main places on the west side for the Pipits. I would go everyday if I could but its about 34 mile round trip for me, so for now in the main I will stick with Hutton Roof, and try and get back just now and again. Greeted by the first birds to be Siskin!

Siskin: 3 (2,1 SE)
Alba Wagtail: 4 (all singles)
Meadow Pipits: 84 (all South, best parties: 10,8,8,5,4,4)
Swallow: 37 (best parties: 11,7.8)
Linnet: 8 all E (3,3,2)
Jay: 1 North
Buzzard: 2
Chaffinch: 4 N
Pink Footed Goose: 16 SE at 0925hours.