Tuesday 23 May 2017

Marsh Lousewort, Common Rockrose, Fly Orchid, Twayblade etc etc


This was some of my garden today - Park Wood, Hutton Roof Village (Click over to enlarge)
I like these open areas and always think they might be suitable for "Flycatchers" as well as Redstarts

Tuesday 23rd May 2017 - The Rakes and Park Wood - East Side of Hutton Roof 1200hrs to approx 1500hrs.

The weather was lovely and sunny and warm, and it turned out just another cracking afternoon with plenty going on as usual.  I thought I would try and check out the two Redstarts I have not yet been able to confirm having returned.  But again today I have ended up drawing a blank or they are remaining stum!  I will be back again very soon.

Just at the new development in Hutton Roof village there must have been no less than 30 House Martins hawking the local skies and ticking away as they do - such a pleasure to see so many all really enjoying themselves whilst calling to one another as though they were laughing with guilt!

Little in the way of birds today I'm afraid but there again what does one expect starting off as late as midday! the only calling birds seem to be a few Willow Warblers, a single Chiffchaff, one Blackbird and the usual tribe of Robins, Wrens and Blackbirds.  No Redstarts and No Flycatchers to report today.

Butterflies were out in good numbers with 6 Small Heaths which have only hatched in the last day or two, a beautiful Brimstone (a cracking year for them!), Orange Tips, Green Veined Whites.

Flowers started well, I even managed my first Common Twayblade whilst ascending the Crags.  It looked like something had been feasting on its leaves which had become well "perforated"....



Common Twayblade found in Crags near Park Wood (Click over to enlarge)
And Twayblade was not the only Orchid of the day, I decided to go and have a look at one of my regular "Fly Orchid" sites and sure enough I managed to find two, but I think there would have been more if I could have spent the time checking out!  I did manage to get the following photo:

One of the lovely Fly Orchids (Click over to enlarge)

I could not resist but call of and say hello to one of our mega rare plants - the lovely aromatic (not today of course) "Daphne Mezereone" maybe not just as colourful today but still she looks great. Here is a peep for today:


Daphne Mezereone - Click over to enlarge
I am told this is "Glaucous" Sedge

I guess for me the highlight of the afternoon came when I discovered a hillside banking completed matted with Common Rock Rose, I just could not believe it - I'll bet it measures somewhere in the region of 100 yards x 20 yards deep, and although there are plenty of flowers scattered even now, it really is nothing to what there will be in another week or two!  but I guess my mind is racing on a bit because I am thinking about all them little Northern Brown Argus beauties waiting to pop out and take advantage of this great area.  It's in the diary now for a return visit very very sooooooon!

Not only that there are plenty of "Salad Burnet" in between the many clumps of carpeted rockrose. So to try and give you some idea this is the area:

Common Rockrose (Click over to enlarge)
This gives you a idea of the banking, which does go on even further (Click over to enlarge)
You can actually see odd flowers even now! 
This one shows how the flowers are scattered today, but lets see what a couple of weeks on brings!
This photo shows the "Salad Burnet" of which there is plenty in between the Rockrose.
"Marsh Lousewort" (Click over to enlarge)
Rare plant found on the East side of Hutton Roof close to water margins