Monday 27 March 2017

Wild Service Trees and Much More



Tuesday 28th March 2017 - Dalton Crags

Another lovely sunny morning with a E/SE blowing at about 7-10mph, visibility down to about 2/300 yards.

A definite six Chiffchaff counted in Plain Quarry and lower regions of Dalton

Just a little better than yesterday with just enough Meadow Pipits to count on two hands over the hour!


2x Wild Service Trees in Dalton (Click over to enlarge)
also photo below shows close up.

Monday 27th March 2017 - Dalton - Hutton Roof Trig Point

Lovely sunny morning but with a cold 10-15mph Easterly.  Over one hour the Meadow Pipits that went through could be counted on one hand.

Lots of singing Chiffchaffs heard this morning around the Lower Dalton Plain Quarry areas.  I guess all were not locals.  The ones I saw seemed so small and thin and needed to put some weight on!  also coming down "Hypericum Way" I am sure I heard the "just about (contact) call" of a Willow Warbler right at the place were I usually get my "first early bird", but can't be sure because it was only the contact call "hou-it" rather than the full call. Although there is very little difference between the Chiff and the Willow, I find the Willow is slightly more sweeter and not just as sharp - So I guess the next day or two should give a clearer indication to which bird it is. 

Also had the male Stonechat in Dalton Upper, and heard a couple of calls from Green Woodpecker at different areas, Ravens knocking about and thats more or less it for today....

I was kindly shown these rare "Wild Service Trees" which lie within Dalton.

Close up of a Wild Service Tree at Dalton (Click over to enlarge)