Wednesday 27 April 2011

Holme Park Nature Reserve & Clawthorpe Fell, Clawthorpe, Burton In Kendal


(Please click over sketch to enlarge).
I just had to include this in my blog today. I have spent the morning especially looking for Sloworms, which I am told are pretty common in these parts, but can I find one! Well some friends the other day were telling me about their "sloworm catching cat" and that every now and again it catches one and brings it home in its mouth, and I could envisage a sort of picture in my mind of this cat with lots of small eels (sloworms) wriggling about....

Had a lovely walk around Holme Park Nature Reserve and manage to record: 3 singing Willow Warblers, 1 Chiffchaff, Bullfinches, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Blue and Coal Tits, Buzzard overhead. Also had a very brown coloured (short of other colours) Peacock Butterfly.

Also had Rue Leaved Saxifrage, Lords and Ladys, Bluebell, Dog Violets, Daisy, Gorse, Cowslips, Dogs Mercury, Herb Robert, Ramsons (nearby), Dandelion and also some Early Purple Orchids (struggle to do much). Also Angular Solomons Seal.

from 1045hrs to 1200hrs moved over to the nearby: Clawthorpe Fell, a super place mainly of Limestone Pavement. Just entering there was a Garden Warbler singing away, also had 3 singing Willow Warblers, 1 Chiffchaff, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Woodpigeons, Swallow. Also lots of Speckled Wood Butterflies.

Also had Angular Solomons Seal, Dogs Mercury, Barren Strawberry, Dandelion, Daisy, Dogs Violet, Rue Leaved Saxifrage. Herb Robert.