Saturday 31 March 2012

Most Chiffchaffs now in, but not "Miss A Note".

Heres my diary notes for today (31st March 2012) Censored version!!

Not a bad morning, with a walk up to the Trig Point via Lancelot to the Common and then back via Burton Fell.

On way up at Vicarage Lane, I was temporarily looking around for Redwing, only to find out it was a super Starling doing its immpression, absolutely excellent....

Meadow Pipits: Still only 23 over a couple of hours, but looking more promising. Did have one party at 6 and another at 4. Lots of Redpoll going through (maybe 20) plus lots feeding up within the Dalton, Lancelot areas. Two Chiffchaffs returned to Lancelot (one still missing and least Five birds returned to Burton Fell.
The Chiffchaff on Lancelot which I've christened " Miss A Note" is still the one thats missing, but I have now checked notes from last year and I never made notes about her until about the 22nd April 2011, so maybe she's not late but just delayed. Here is the 2011 note about her and also the reason why I call her "Miss A Note"

"In the Lancelot count I did notice that one of the Chiffchaffs calls was very different to the usual eg: It did the normal Chiff-Chaff, Chiff-Chaff, a few times as the normal and then would every now and again insert the additional notes of "diddoo diddo" in the same syllabic range as the "Chiff Chaff". I cant say that I have ever heard this before and wondering if its a malfunction rather than the norm" .

Also had Rue Leaved Saxifrage, Dog Violets, Wood Anemone, Water Avens and Bluebells. Bluesbells now showing here and there and would expect that a visit to "Bluebell Wood" could be planned in the next two weeks.